That same year, Horch introduced the Audi Type A, which immediately became popular. Soon after, Audi began participating in races and won for three years straight in the International Austrian Alpine Run. The Alpine Challenge Trophy was presented to Audi drivers in 1914. Therefore, this marked the beginning of the history of Audi, a company hungry for success.
Following the success of Audi Type A, the company introduced numerous other 5720cc, 4680cc, and 3564 cc models. In 1920, August Horch left Audiwerke for a position in the Ministry of Transport, but remained a member of the board of trustees for Audi. A year later, Audi became the first car manufacturer to present a production car with left-hand drive.
In 1928, many of the Audiwerke AG shares were acquired by Jorgen Rasmussen. That same year, he also purchased the remaining shares of the famous US Company, Rickenbacker. This decision also gave Rasmussen the rights to Rickenbacker’s manufacturing equipment for eight-cylinder engines. In 1929, these engines were installed in the Audi Dresden and Audi Zwickau models.
In 1932, Audi merged with Wanderer, Horch, and DKW to from the Auto Union AG and this led to the creation of Audi’s four rings logo (picture above). The same year, Audi introduced the world’s first volume-built car with front-wheel-drive. By the end of the 30s, Audi began participating in Grand Prix races, established a new office in Chemnitz, introduced its first 16-cylinder racing car, and began conducting systematic rollover and crash tests.